Digital pictures... Friend or Foe? :-/
Well, I figured it was about time to give this blog a little eye candy. :o) These are my very first ever painted 28mm Napoleonics. Their names are Fritz, Jurgen, Karl, and... Just kidding (about the names anyway) ;-)
These guys are basically my first stand of figs completed for the Fusilier Battalion of my Prussian Leib Infantry Regiment including a NCO. The models are from Perry Miniatures which I will be using to fill out the bulk of my Prussian army. As these were my "prototype" models as well as my introduction to "real scale" 28mm miniatures, there was a bit of tweaking and tinkering that hopefully is out of the way so that the painting process picks up the pace a bit. Painting all the gear is what really took the longest, plus the fact that 99% of the reference pics out there only show the front didn't help either.
I always prime in black regardless, and I usually paint using a hybrid black lining technique as I like my minis clean and well defined. The black primer certainly helps with this, and I always find a number of white specks peeking out when I prime with white which makes it much more troublesome for me anyway. Coverage usually isn't a problem, but I do have the old GW Foundation Paints sitting around to mix in with a red, yellow, or white base coat if needed.
I'm trying to force myself to become more dependent on using the Army Painter washes to speed things up and then come back and hit the highlights. Highlights are a little trickier than the "Heroic" scale minis that I've painted in the past. You want to give the figs a little "pop" so they don't look flat on the table top, but there's not a lot of room for layers on these minis, and then there are all those other "battalions" of figs staring at you from the workbench waiting to be done. Regardless, I need to remind myself that the visual effect of the unit as a whole is paramount, not necessarily the individual minis.
These figs haven't been Dullcoted yet either, so I need to see how badly that makes my highlights/shading disappear. I'm used to coming back and touching up metals, but maybe the final highlight layer or two might have to wait until after the spray.
The main paints I used are pictured above. Many of the others are old out of production GW paints that I still have around. No reason to move on until they're used up I guess. If you have any questions on the paints I used feel free to ask in the comments below. Although I'm sure I will continue to tweak things as I go along.
The next step is to hammer out the basing colors (and static grass mix) for the project. These will be the same that we will use for building our terrain boards. Look for that post in the near future as well as one explaining our planned Order of Battle(s) that we will be using to base each of our forces on. Although still "under construction," you can get a sneak peek of our OOBs by checking out the page tabs just under the blog title.
Anyway, let me know what you think of this first batch. :-)